Barangay Rizal is a barangay situated between four barangays here in Gumaca Poblacion. The East side is Brgy. Maunlad, West side is Brgy. Bagong Buhay, north side is Brgy. San Diego and the south side is Brgy. Villa Nava which is between the railways. Barangay Rizal’s land area is 4.2 hectares with a total population of out of 2,000 as of 2010.
We have the monument of Dr. Jose Rizal, one of the tourist spots in our town. This was erected on June 15, 1931 under Mr. Eriberto Caparros, the late Municipal Presidente of Gumaca. Then, the Gumaca Rizal Park was constructed/renovated by Mayor Robert Yap Diangco in 1982 with the cooperation of the Sangguniang Bayan. Rizal Park was donated by the late Mr. Jesus Lagdameo to Gumaca thru Mayor Yap-Diangco. The first barangay was created in 1979 with Mr. Mariano Barretto as the first Barangay Captain but was not able to assume office due to the abolition of eight barangays in the Poblacion. Due to the Edsa Revolution in 1986, the national government appointed OIC’s in all vacated offices of the government officials including other localities. In Barangay Rizal, the first appointed chairman was Mr. Carlos del Rosario. In 1988, indirect voting was initiated and Mrs. Editha A. Delas Alas was elected as number one councilor and automatically became Barangay Captain up to May 1997. She was followed by Mr. Jesus Tierra, then Amado Interino and Elsie Martinez (2013-2016). Eight zones in the barangay which were assigned to the Sangguniang Barangay including the SK Chairman. The Barangay has Day Care Center, Brgy. Tanod Hall and the Annex Brgy. Health Center.